Jay Adkisson is an attorney and a Managing Partner of Adkisson Pitet LLP who practices primarily in the area of creditor-debtor litigation, but also from time-to-time in the areas asset protection and wealth preservation, captive insurance companies and insurance/reinsurance litigation, and Anti-SLAPP litigation. He is also a columnist for Forbes.com, an author of several books, and a popular legal and financial speaker on a variety of topics. He has twice been an expert witness to the U.S. Senate Finance Committee, and his lectures have included to the U.S. Department of Justice and Internal Revenue Service on judgment enforcement issues.
Jay earned his Juris Doctor degree, with honors, from the University of Oklahoma in 1988, and was a member of the Oklahoma Law Review. He has been admitted to practice before the Supreme Court of Oklahoma (1989), Texas (1993), California (2007), Nevada (2012), Arizona (2012), the U.S. Supreme Court, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th, 9th, 10th, and 11th Circuits, and numerous federal district courts nationwide. Jay also occasionally acts as an expert witness in various areas, and has acted as a court-appointed receiver in two high-profile post-judgment enforcement cases.
American Bar Association Activity
Jay is a member of the American Bar Association and has been active in leadership in the Business Law and Real Property, Trusts and Estate (RPTE) sections, including:
- Chair, 2015 to 2016, and Vice-Chair, 2012 to 2015, Committee on Financial Services and Insurance in the Real Property, Trusts & Estates Section; and
- Chair, 2011 to 2014, Committee on Captive Insurance Companies in the Business Law Section.
Uniform Laws Commission Activity
Jay has served as an American Bar Association adviser to the drafting committees of the following uniform acts:
- Uniform Voidable Transactions Act (formerly the Uniform Fraudulent Transfers Act), adopted 2014;
- Uniform Protected Series Act, adopted 2017;
- Uniform Registration of Canadian Money Judgments Act, adopted 2019; and
- Uniform Public Expression Protection Act, adopted 2020.
- California Association of Judgment Professionals, Honorary Lifetime Member.
- National Association of Estate Planning Council, Honorary Lifetime Member.
Inn of Court
- Howard D. McKibben Inn of Court, Master of the Bench, 2016-present.
Future Speaking Appearances
2023.12.08 ... Columbus, OH ... 10th Annual Great Lakes Asset Protection Institute sponsored by the Ohio State Bar Association
- 2023.11.26 ... Why LLC Interests Can Be Lousy Collateral
- 2023.11.23 ... Bankruptcy Law And Charging Order Law Collide Again In Pettine
- 2023.11.19 ... Unhappy Times For Syndicated Conservation Easements
- 2023.11.09 ... Tension Between Receivers And Charging Orders Highlighted In Klinek
- 2023.10.28 ... Abusive Captive Tax Shelters Continue To Be Sold Despite IRS Efforts
- 2023.10.24 ... Three Interesting Charging Order Opinions In The Estates Bid-Rigging Scheme
- 2023.10.16 ... Offshore Tax Evasion Leads To Guilty Plea By Schechter
- 2023.10.09 ... Contempt For Violating Charging Order In Brockley Or Not?
- 2023.09.29 ... Charging Order Exclusivity Circumvented By Receiver In Mexico Foods
- 2023.09.27 ... Offshore Trusts And The Good Debtor Versus Bad Debtor Debate
- 2023.09.18 ... Attorneys Who Aided Debtors Hit With $4.5 Million In Attorney Fees
- 2023.09.10 ... IRS Warns About Complex Trust Tax Scam Used To Defer Income Taxes