Jay Adkisson is an attorney and a Managing Partner of Adkisson Pitet LLP who practices primarily in the area of creditor-debtor litigation, but also from time-to-time in the areas asset protection and wealth preservation, captive insurance companies and insurance/reinsurance litigation, and Anti-SLAPP litigation. He is also a columnist for Forbes.com, an author of several books, and a popular legal and financial speaker on a variety of topics. He has twice been an expert witness to the U.S. Senate Finance Committee, and his lectures have included to the U.S. Department of Justice and Internal Revenue Service on judgment enforcement issues.
Jay earned his Juris Doctor degree, with honors, from the University of Oklahoma in 1988, and was a member of the Oklahoma Law Review. He has been admitted to practice before the Supreme Court of Oklahoma (1989), Texas (1993), California (2007), Nevada (2012), Arizona (2012), the U.S. Supreme Court, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th, 9th, 10th, and 11th Circuits, and numerous federal district courts nationwide. Jay also occasionally acts as an expert witness in various areas, and has acted as a court-appointed receiver in two high-profile post-judgment enforcement cases.
American Bar Association Activity
Jay is a member of the American Bar Association and has been active in leadership in the Business Law and Real Property, Trusts and Estate (RPTE) sections, including:
- Chair, 2015 to 2016, and Vice-Chair, 2012 to 2015, Committee on Financial Services and Insurance in the Real Property, Trusts & Estates Section; and
- Chair, 2011 to 2014, Committee on Captive Insurance Companies in the Business Law Section.
Uniform Laws Commission Activity
Jay has served as an American Bar Association adviser to the drafting committees of the following uniform acts:
- Uniform Voidable Transactions Act (formerly the Uniform Fraudulent Transfers Act), adopted 2014;
- Uniform Protected Series Act, adopted 2017;
- Uniform Registration of Canadian Money Judgments Act, adopted 2019; and
- Uniform Public Expression Protection Act, adopted 2020.
- California Association of Judgment Professionals, Honorary Lifetime Member.
- National Association of Estate Planning Council, Honorary Lifetime Member.
Inn of Court
- Howard D. McKibben Inn of Court, Master of the Bench, 2016-present.
Future Speaking Appearances
2023.08.01 ... Webinar ... Jay Adkisson to present Asset Protection With Single Member LLCs for the National Business Institute
2023.12.08 ... Columbus, OH ... 10th Annual Great Lakes Asset Protection Institute sponsored by the Ohio State Bar Association
- 2023.05.22 ... Third Circuit Denies Appeal Of The Delaware Department Of Insurance In Tax Shelter Captive Summons Case
- 2023.05.10 ... Proposed Changes To The Texas Citizens Participation Act Will Undermine Free Speech Protections In The Lone Star State
- 2023.05.08 ... Charging Order Jurisdictional Issues In Wright
- 2023.05.08 ... Spendthrift Trusts In California And External Creditors
- 2023.04.17 ... A Deeper Dive Into The Two Tests For Microcaptive Tax Shelters Under Treasury’s Proposed Regulations
- 2023.04.14 ... Recourse And Non-Recourse Debt In The Commercial Real Estate Context
- 2023.04.11 ... U.S. Treasury Department Issues Proposed Regulations To Finally Eviscerate Microcaptive Tax Shelters
- 2023.04.06 ... Uniform Public Expression Protection Act Adopted By Utah To Update Its Anti-SLAPP Laws
- 2023.03.30 ... Charging Order Informational Rights Tested In SFG Commercial Aircraft Leasing
- 2023.03.27 ... Don’t Make A Mess Out Of The Texas Citizens Participation Act
- 2023.03.23 ... Personal Creditor Exemptions Not Available For Moneys Held In Entities Subject To Charging Order In Signorelli
- 2023.03.07 ... The U.S. Tax Court Rejects 501(c)(15) Status For Commonwealth Underwriting & Annuity Services, Inc.